Summer is the perfect season to be mindful of what we eat. It’s the season with an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables, making healthy eating a lot more accessible. Eating food that nourishes us also makes us feel and look better during the warmer months.
One thing the pandemic has taught us is that eating healthy is a priority. Between the busy work week and cruising into sunny weekend plans, finding the time to shop for wholesome ingredients, prepare, and cook healthy, delicious meals daily can be challenging. But with recipes that are easy to follow combined with the right ingredients that are easy to get on hand, it’s possible.
Muesli Breakfast Bowl
Eating a good, wholesome breakfast has many health benefits. A meal in the morning helps improve cognitive function, boosts heart health, and puts you in a pleasant mood. The best way to begin the morning is with a heavy and healthy breakfast bowl that will keep you energized throughout the day. Muesli is a fiber-rich food that’s known to have high protein and nutrition content. It also helps regulate your digestive system and keeps you full, preventing unwanted snacking. Take your muesli to the next level by adding fresh and dried fruit, nuts, and cinnamon. This breakfast is perfect for those on-the-go as you can take it with you.
- 1/2 cup Woolworths Toasted Honey and Cinnamon Muesli
- 1 calamansi, juice only
- 1/2 banana, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsps. dried mangoes, sliced finely, plus extra for garnish
- 100 grams low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup Woolworths Free Form Lactose Full Cream Milk
- Coconut sugar or pure honey, to taste
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Cashew nuts, for garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Adjust consistency by adding more milk or muesli.
- Add coconut sugar or pure honey and ground cinnamon to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to a covered container and soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- Before serving, top with sliced dried mangoes and chopped cashew nuts
Summer Macaroni Salad
Instead of the usual creamy, cheesy, and high in calories mac and cheese, opt for something that’s lighter, healthier, and easier to make. It’s also just as delectable. What makes this dish great for mindful eaters is the use of Woolworths Mayonnaise Shredded Chicken which is only 114 calories (85 grams) compared to regular mayonnaise which amounts to more than 300 calories. With just a few pantry staples and a couple of Woolworths products, you can quickly prepare this dish for light, post work dinners or weekend barbecues with friends. When it comes to flavor, expect bites of sweetness and hints of tangy notes. What’s more, serving this yummy salad cold makes it great for a warm weekend.
- 250 g. Woolworths Macaroni
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1/8 cup celery, minced
- 250 g. Woolworths Tropical Fruit in Juice, drained
- 150 g. cooked ham
- 1 cup Woolworths Mayonnaise Shredded Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Then place in a large bowl.
- Add the minced onion, carrot, and celery. Toss together until well combined.
- Fold in the mayonnaise and red wine vinegar. Add the salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
- Add and toss the cooked ham and tropical fruit chunks. Cover and refrigerate at least for four hours.
Peach Papaya Power Smoothie
A daily smoothie is a convenient way to get your fruits and veggies in while also nourishing your body with essential vitamins. Plus, smoothies are super easy to make. With fresh, seasonal fruit like papaya—which is loaded with vitamin C and immune boosting nutrients, a hint of sweetness from Woolworths Peaches in juice, Woolworths Unsweetened Almond Milk, and ice, you can effortlessly concoct a drink that’s both nutrient-rich and tasty. The fruits contain energizing carbohydrates and fiber, both essential for managing appetite and blood sugar levels. Opting to use almond milk over regular milk makes this a plant-based smoothie that provides lasting energy. Finish off the smoothie with a teaspoon of chia seeds, a superfood that’s packed with fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, plenty of high quality protein, several essential minerals, and antioxidants.
- 1 papaya, sliced
- 125 g. Woolworths Peaches in juice
- 6 tbsps. Woolworths Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 cups ice, crushed
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix chia seeds into the smoothie after blending.
Tomato & Kesong Puti Penne
Everyone loves pasta. And when it comes to this Italian favorite, quality ingredients are what will make the dish stand out. This dish calls for tomatoes and kesong puti, a straightforward combo that’s big on summer flavors. Instead of using fresh tomatoes which are not always available, opt to use Woolworths Diced Tomatoes, a versatile ingredient that every pantry should have. What’s more, the subtle flavor of the kesong puti balances the acidity from the tomatoes. Though this penne dish is great eaten hot off the pan, it’s also amazingly yummy when enjoyed as a cold pasta salad. The best part is it’s light and healthy.
- 400 g. Woolworths Penne
- 2 tbsps. cooking oil
- 5 tbsps. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 400 g. Woolworths Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tbsps. tomato paste
- 1 red chili pepper (siling labuyo)
- sea salt
- 150 g. kesong puti, cut into cubes
- Cook penne according to package directions.
- In a saucepan, heat 5 tbsp. of olive oil, then add onions and sauté until translucent. Add tomatoes and cook for 1 to 2 minutes just to soften. Add tomato paste, chili, and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a pot with pasta, add kesong puti, and heat over low heat. Add black olives and basil leaves; mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste, and serve immediately with a big bowl of mixed organic greens.
Couscous is a wonderful alternative to white rice which has a high glycemic index (GI). When food has a high GI, this means it can affect the body’s blood sugar level significantly. Made from tiny steamed balls of semolina flour, couscous contains more protein and higher amounts of vitamins and minerals, and is a good source of fiber. It’s one of the easiest, quickest, most versatile ingredients you can use for cooking. For this dish, all you need to do is add a few diced bell peppers, onions, parsley, and a few more ingredients, and you’ll end up with a dish that tastes as lovely as it looks. It’s super healthy, too.
- 250 grams couscous, cooked according to package directions and cooled to room temperature
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley sprigs, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt, to season
- 1/2 cup almonds (slivers), toasted
- Combine cooked couscous, green onions, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and fresh parsley in a large bowl. Whisk together the juice and zest from two lemons and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss dressing with couscous salad 30 minutes before serving. Top with toasted almond slivers.
All Woolworths products are available in Shopwise, Robinsons Supermarket and The Marketplace Rustans branches nationwide. You can also shop Woolworths products via the GoRobinsons mobile app and website.