Who hasn’t heard of blueberries? They’re not just dessert favorites, they are also known as one of the best superfoods around. But the real question is when was the last time you had blueberries? It’s too bad if you can’t remember because you’re missing out on a lot of the good stuff you can get from it. Here is why you should consider these berries as part of your diet.
- It’s packed with healthy benefits. It has 3.6 grams of fiber that is good for heart health; is rich in vitamin C for immunity support, and contains essential nutrients like vitamin K and manganese for bone metabolism and development. Studies also show that it’s loaded with antioxidants that help promote brain function and delay mental decline associated with aging.
- It’s filling, but not fattening. Blueberries are 85% water, according to healthline.com. A cup of blueberries only has 80 calories. This means you can get your fill of berries without worrying about gaining unwanted weight.
- It’s simply yummy! There are lots of ways to enjoy your blueberries. You can eat it on its own or pair it with cereals or pancakes for breakfast. If you love desserts and pastries then there’s blueberry cheesecake, blueberry muffin, blueberry pie, etc. You can also make your own blueberry shake or jam if you want. You can even enjoy them in savory dishes like sauces and soups!
The thing is, most Pinoys don’t get to benefit from eating blueberries because they don’t know where to get them. Well, guess what? It’s not that hard to find. You can get your regular supply of frozen blueberries from brands like Farmers Best, Essential Everyday, and Sunny Select. They are available throughout the year in stores nationwide.
If you’re looking for fresh U.S. blueberries, you’ll just have to wait a few more months. They are offered during the spring to summer seasons in the U.S., which is from April to September. They are air-flown to the Philippines and are an absolute delight to munch on!
Frozen blueberries from the U.S. are frozen straight from the farm so the flavors, nutrients, and freshness are preserved until it gets to your table. Now that you know where to get them, it’ll be easy to enjoy your berries anytime you want, any way you want it. With that, I would like to share with you one of my favorite blueberry recipes.
I had loads of fun with the frozen blueberries our friends over at U.S. Blueberries Philippines sent a few weeks ago. Sharing with you here THREE yummy recipes that are so easy to make. Enjoy!
(1) BLUEBERRY YOGURT SMOOTHIE
This blueberry recipe hits the spot with creamy yogurt and frozen blueberries!
- 1 cup Farmers Best Highbush Blueberries 2 cups white sugar
- 1 (8 oz) container plain yogurt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon raw honey or 2 tablespoons sugar or plain honey
Blend the blueberries, yogurt, milk, and sugar in a blender until frothy, scraping down the sides of the blender with a spatula occasionally. Serve immediately.
Top with additional blueberries and serve immediately.
(2) BLUEBERRY YOGURT ICE CREAM
Pour the smoothie into a container with a lid. Place this in the freezer. Leave it overnight until it solidifies. Scoop and serve with more blueberries as toppings!
(3) BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (Yields: 24 muffins)
These easy to make blueberry muffins are made with oil and without milk.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 cups Farmers Best Highbush Blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar, optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk to combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, water, and vanilla.
- Mash 1 cup of the blueberries. Add the mashed and whole berries to the batter. Stir just to combine and distribute.
- Use a ladle to pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan.
- If desired, sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar atop each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean. They should be light golden brown on top.
- Remove the muffins from the oven. Let sit for 5 minutes before transfer them to a rack to cool.
Who’s ready for a giveaway? Stay tuned!!