February 3, 2010 marked the day I became a Rent fanatic. I know the song Seasons of Love, but I’d never had a chance to watch Rent on stage. Thanks to 9 Works Theatrical, I was able to see Rent.
Though it was my first time watching this play, I immediately fell in love with the story and the characters. The musical RENT, is just an ordinary story of people in distress, who found love. It is a story about life, death, love, hate, positive, negative, prejudice, and understanding.
Each of the character of the story has different and unique personality that plays an important part as the musical runs its story.
- Fredison Lo as Mark Cohen, a struggling documentary filmmaker, the narrator of the show. He is Roger and Collins’s roommate until Collins moves out; he is also Maureen’s ex-boyfriend.
- Gian Madrigal as Roger Davis, a once successful, but now, struggling musician. He hopes to write one last meaningful song in his lifetime. He is Mark’s roommate.
- OJ Mariano as Tom Collins, a computer genius and a teacher; vagabond anarchist. He was formerly a roommate of Roger and Mark.
- Noel Rayos as Benjamin ‘Benny’ Coffin III, Landlord of Mark, Roger and Mimi’s apartment building and ex-roommate of Mark, Collins, Roger, and Maureen. Now married to Alison Grey of the Westport Greys and is considered a yuppie sell-out by his ex-roommates.
- Jenny Villegas as Joanne Jefferson, an Ivy League-educated public interest lawyer. Joanne has very important parents (one is undergoing confirmation to be a judge, the other is a political figure).
- Job Bautista as Angel Dumott Schunard, a drag queen, street percussionist.
- Cara Barredo and Nicole Laurel Asensio, as Mimi Márquez, Roger’s love interest. She lives downstairs from Mark and Roger.
- Carla Guevara-Laforteza as Maureen Johnson, a performance artist; Mark’s ex-girlfriend, and Joanne’s current girlfriend.
Ensemble members include Ring Antonio, Peachy Atilano, Johann Dela Fuente, Harold Cruz, Gary Junsay, Raul Montesa, Anna Santamaria and Mark Tayag
The traits or behavior of each character reflects a person’s life in the real setting, so everyone can surely relate and see him or herself in a certain character of the play that will led the audience to pay more attention and get interested and eventually, fall in love with the play.
I was impressed with the cast. The actors/actresses were perfect for their respective roles:
Gian Magdangal – executed his role as Roger very well. His rock voice fits for his role.
Fredison Lo – No one can deny that he is cute, charming and very talented.
Nicole Laurel Asensio – I loved her sexy singing voice.
Job Bautista – words cannot express how adorable his performance was.
OJ Mariano – made me cry. Job Bautista and OJ Mariano make a great tandem.
Jenny Villegas – great voice especially during Take Me Or Leave Me
Noel Rayos – great acting and singing voice.
Carla Guevara-Laforteza – made Fly over the Moon one of the more memorable performances that night
The set production is simple. Blocking was good The music was great. I love the songs. Transitions were very smooth.
Good cast. Good production. It was all worth it!!!
Congrats to sir Robbie Guevara and the rest of the 9 Works Theatrical
Show dates are February 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27 and 28.
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 8:00PM
Saturdays at 3:30PM & Sundays at 4:30PM
Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza
Ayala Corner Sen. Gil Puyat Avenues, Makati City 1200
Call 9 Works Theatrical at 557.58.60 or visit www.9workstheatrical.com or call TicketWorld at 891.9999 or visit www.ticketworld.com.ph.
RENT Manila 2010! Grab your happy tickets now!!! No day but today!!!
Photos during the Press Preview Night