Years ago meal times are considered sacred in most families. As a rule, each family member should be always present in every meal. One of my friends had a 6:00pm curfew when we were kids because she had to be home for dinner. In today’s time however, it is easy for the family to get busy with their individual activities and miss out on family meals. A busy lifestyle should never be used as an excuse not to share the table as a family at least once a day. Eating together as a family builds stronger bonds as it allows members to keep abreast of what’s going on in one another’s lives.
I was inspired by real life stories of bonding moments in Famealy Matters: 50-Plus Stories of Everyday Intimacy at the Family Dining Table.
This special compilation highlights memorable family meal time experiences shared by real families from various sectors in Filipino society. Among the many known personalities who contributed stories to this book are: Vice President Jejomar Binay, Archbishop Antonio Tagle, Megastar Sharon Cuneta, presidential sister Kris Aquino, television network tycoons Atty. Felipe L. Gozon and Gaby Lopez, and communications exec Butch Jimenez. This compilation of personal narratives underscores the importance of making time to share meals with the family, not only to share the same food but, more importantly, to share stories and to bond together as a family.
This book is part of Monde Nissin’s advocacy of promoting shared mealtimes among Filipino families. President Benigno S. Aquino III has shown support for this advocacy by declaring every 4th Monday of September as the Kainang Pamilya Mahalaga Day (Presidential Proclamation 326). This day is known as the National FaMEALy Day.
Reading this book reminded me of the importance that my parents and grandparents gave to our family meal times when I was growing up. Eating with the family is more than just for sustenance. It strengthens the bond among those who regularly share the table.
Famealy Matters: 50-Plus Stories of Everyday Intimacy at the Family Dining Table is available at National Book Store, Powerbooks, or through Anne Cristobal of Success Options Inc. (727-0291, 0920-9253348, or email@example.com).
Click the link below for the complete list of Famealy Matters: 50-Plus Stories of Everyday Intimacy at the Family Dining Table Contributors
- BOY ABUNDA is an award-winning television host at ABS-CBN, a talent manager, and a celebrity endorser.
- CONG. JUAN EDGARDO ‘SONNY’ ANGARA JR. is a Representative from Aurora province.
- KRIS AQUINO, a daughter of former President Corazon ‘Cory’ Aquino and former Senator Benigno ‘Ninoy’ Aquino, is a television host, actress, celebrity endorser, and mother to two kids.
- PAUL AQUINO is the Honorable Consul of Malta, a director of East West Bank and SkyCable, and a consultant of Energy Development Corp.
- CATHY S. BABAO is a children’s advocate and grief counselor and a columnist in the Lifestyle section of Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- CHRISTINE BERSOLA-BABAO is the creative director of www.parenTIN.tv, a TV host, and a children’s book author.
- USEC. ALICIA BALA is with the Policy and Programs Dept. of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
- JOJO Y. BALDO is a husband, father, pastor, trainer, and a Christian.
- BOBBY BARREIRO is EVP and COO of TV5.
- VP JEJOMAR ‘JOJO’ BINAY is the Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines
- MONIQUE BUENSALIDO is the associate publisher and deputy editor for Travel magazine, a contributing writer for Philippine Star, and a Carlos Palanca awardee.
- MARIVIC NG CAJUCOM-UY is a wife, mother, and marketing director of Noodles and Seasoning, Monde Nissin Corporation.
- DR. QUEENA N. LEE-CHUA is a full-time professor, a columnist in the Learning section of Phil. Daily Inquirer, an author, and a sought-after speaker.
- BILLY CRAWFORD is a recording artist, a television host, and a celebrity endorser.
- JOHN LLOYD CRUZ is a film and television actor at ABS-CBN and a celebrity endorser
- SHARON CUNETA is a multi-awarded recording artist, actress, and television host at TV5.
- JOCOT DE DIOS is CEO of GE Philippines.
- RICA DE JESUS is the general manager of Golden Spoon Philippines, a director of Jaric Marketing, Inc., and a popular blogger.
- JUN DE LEON is a renowned and much-sought-after professional photographer.
- ANTON DIAZ is the man behind the top travel blog, ourawesomeplanet.com.
- ROXANNE ANG FARILLAS is the managing director of fashion retail store, Plains & Prints.
- SARAH GERONIMO is a recording artist, film actress, and host of a TV musical show.
- CHIQUI ESCAREAL-GO is president and chief service strategist of Mansmith and Fielders, Inc.
- CONG. LUCY TORRES-GOMEZ is Representative of the 4th District of Leyte, a TV host, a columnist in the Life Section of Phil. Star, and a wife and mother.
- ATTY. FELIPE GOZON is the chairman and CEO of the GMA-7 Network.
- RAYMUND ISAAC is a popular celebrity and fashion photographer.
- MENARDO ‘Butch’ G. JIMENEZ JR. is the senior vice president of PLDT.
- SECRETARY RAMON R. JIMENEZ JR.is the Secretary of the Department of Tourism.
- ATTY. ALEX LACSON is a partner in Malcolm Law; the founder and chairman of the KaBayanihan Foundation; and the author of the local bestseller, “12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country”.
- WILSON LIM is the founder and president of retail chain, Waltermart.
- ELIZABETH LOLARGA is an author, a poet, a freelance writer-editor, a part-time high school teacher, a mother and grandmother, and a partner to a fellow journalist.
- ERNIE LOPEZ is president and CEO of ABS-CBN Publishing, Inc.
- EUGENIO ‘GABBY’ LOPEZ III is chairman and CEO of the ABS-CBN Network.
- Secretary Bro. Armin LUISTRO is the Secretary of the Department of Education and a Lasallian Brother.
- EDU MANZANO is an actor and television host.
- EDRIC MENDOZA is an entrepreneur, a television host, and a director of TMA Homeschool.
- LUIS OQUINENA is the executive director of Gawad Kalinga.
- Dr. LYDIA OROSA, DDM, is a member of a family of dentists, with clinics at the Medical City and on Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- XANDRA RAMOS-PADILLA is the National Book Store merchandising director for Books and the general manager of Crossings Department Store.
- DAPHNE OSENA-PAEZ is a television host and producer, a business woman, a blogger, and a wife and mother.
- SEN. FRANCIS ‘KIKO’ PANGILINAN is Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture and Food and the Senate Committee on Social Justice and Rural Development
- ROBINA GOKONGWEI-PE is president and COO of the Robinsons Retail Group.
- DR. CECILIO PEDRO is president and CEO of Lamoiyan Corporation.
- NINA DAZA-PUYAT is the editor-in-chief of Appetite magazine, an author, a television host, and a daughter of iconic chef and restaurateur, Nora Daza.
- IGE RAMOS is an award-winning book designer, food writer, and editor-in-chief of Sansrival magazine (published by Rustan’s Supermarket)
- ARDY ROBERTO is an author and co-author of seven books; the CEO and cofounder of Salt & Light Ventures and Inspire Leadership Consultancy; a husband and father.
- DEBBIE SY is the executive director of SM Foundation, Inc.
- ARCHBISHOP LUIS ANTONIO G. TAGLE is the Archbishop of Manila, member of the Congregation for Catholic Education, presenter of The Word Exposed, and co-presenter of ABS-CBN’s Kape’t Pandasal.
- ATTY. ADEL TAMANO is a senior partner of Kapunan Tamano Villadolid & Associates and the vice president of Public Affairs and Communication of The Coca Cola Export Company.
- PETER TAN-CHI is the Senior Pastor of Christ’s Commission Fellowship
- CRICKETTE TANTOCO is the marketing and communications director of Payless Shoe Source.
- CHRIS TIU is a professional basketball player, a television host, and an entrepreneur.
- TESSA PRIETO-VALDES is an interior designer, philanthropist, entrepreneur, a television and event host, and a columnist for Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- MARCH VENTOSA is the managing director of Studio 23 and CPI.
- DR. EMILIO C. YAP III is the executive vice president for advertising at Manila Bulletin Publishing Corp.
- FLORABEL YATCO is a chef patron and restaurateur.
- JJ YULO is with Pinoy Eats World and is a freelance food writer.
- AUDREY ZUBIRI is a wife, mother, a businesswoman, and a parenting columnist in the Lifestyle section of Phil. Daily Inquirer