Earlier, powerful earthquake hit Chile. It was 1,000 times more powerful than the Haiti earthquake, reported by New York Times.
As of this time, AP now reports that the death toll is at 78 and rising. Officials have no information yet on number of injured.
Tsunami warnings have been issued over a wide area, including South America, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, the Philippines, Russia and many Pacific islands. – New Break Online
- Hawaii plans evacuations; U.S. West Coast, Alaska under tsunami watch
- Quake is 1,000 times stronger than the one in Haiti
- Dozens of aftershocks, one of magnitude 6.9, shake Chile
- 7.7-foot tsunami wave crashes into Talcahuano, Chile – Pacific Tsunami Warning Center – Breaking News Twitter
- Buildings partially collapsed in Concepcion, Chile, video of quake from TVN shows. – CNN Twitter
- Large wave kills 3 people; 10 missing on the island of Juan Fernandez
- First waves of tsunami hit the Big Island of Hawaii, Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says
- Official death toll in Chile rises to 214 after 8.8 earthquake
- Tsunami warnings for Hawaii lifted. Source: CNN.